1) Effective Layout
Whether you’re using Tumblr to express yourself professionally, independently or as an enthusiast, an effective layout is essential.
- Make your layout easy to navigate so people can focus on your content.
- Include your bio, contact info, and links to your official sites and social media so people who like your content can find you.
- Post your work in a way that fits on Tumblr’s platform and your chosen layout. Each layout is different so choose one that will show your work in the best light.
If you’re not a designer or need help finding a good layout, here are 3 sites where you can get FREE layouts best suited to your work.
2) Post Regularly
Post your work! Don’t be shy about it. Tumblr offers many options for content types: Text, Photo, Quote, Link, Chat, Audio and Video.
- Choose the content type that is best for each post. Sometimes an article is required, sometimes a photo will do, others a video or sound file is best. Switch it up!
- Create a voice for your brand. Who are you speaking to? Who does your work generally attract? Develop a tone, use keywords consistently, provide a unique perspective, establish your own catch phrases.
- Posting regularly creates a sense of expectation or fear of missing out, which keeps visitors coming back.
3) Reblog Others
Reblogging content is the quickest way to engage with other users and have them engage with you in return.
- All it takes is a click of the reblog button in the bottom righthand corner of each post on your feed.
- If you are not following the user whose content you wish to reblog, you can just click on the post and the reblog button should be in the top righthand corner of the page.
4) Comment and Reply
Another way to engage with fellow Tumblr creators is through commenting. Your comment could be as simple as an emoji or a paragraph about strikes you most about someone’s post. Replying to comments that people leave on your posts keeps your interaction with your audience moving.
Benefits of commenting:
- It raises your visibility
- The person who posted could reply to your comment or even follow you back.
- People have become digital pen pals through comments alone, so jump in and start making friends!
- Depending on the popularity of the post, your comment can be seen by an audience of millions!
- Comments on Tumblr are so vital to the community, some users have created screenshots of comments that have have gone viral too!
5) Use Tags
HashTag! At the bottom of each post, there is a field where you can add hashtags.
- Tags should be any keywords that pertain to the post.
- Using tags makes it easier for other Tumblr users to find your content and share it as well!
- Tumblr results and tags also come up on Google search.
6) Ask Anything
Ask Anything is a service people use to ask private or public questions directly. How you choose to answer is up to you. Choose one that best works for you. Recently, Tumblr has started hosting “Asks” by known public figures, similar to how Reddit hosts AMAs (Ask Me Anything).
- The “ask” will show up in the user’s inbox.
- This is useful in cases where the question is sensitive in nature, or so specific as to not be valuable to the general Tumblr audience.
- Your response will show up on your Tumblr page as a post.
- A perk to asking and responding publicly is that your followers and potential followers will see that you do engage with the people on your page and will be more apt to reach out to you via Ask Anything as well!
There you have it: 6 easy ways to get the most out of Tumblr as a creator!